• Welcome to GameShock!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMPORTANT The current state of our servers

Discussion in 'News and Updates' started by Ryan, 30 August 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan Earth Administrator Network Admin

EDIT:

After speaking with the TFCrew members, the decision has been made to drop 3 servers in each region and if no players are seen, to drop the AUS servers.
    The following will be shut down this weekend:
    • 24/7 Dustbowl
    • Payload Extreme
    • Attack/Defense
    Thank you for your support.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while but haven't found the time.
    I'm going to sum it up, we need more players on our other servers. Especially the Australian ones.

Bluntly said: If the Australian servers don't get more attention within a month, we'll stop paying for them. It's not financially fair on us to support an empty server.
    If you know some Australian players, please, tell them about the servers! We want to expand across the world.

Onto my next issue:
    Player counts on Servers #3, #5, #7 and #8. Those are our most unpopular servers, very rarely getting a player count. This also isn't financially viable.
    Here's the plan for those:
    1. Control Point (#3) will be merging with Attack/Defense (#5).
    2. Dustbowl (#8) will be changing to a Custom Maps rotation.
    3. The now defunct #3 will become a third Payload server.
    4. Payload Extreme may be replaced with something else. Discussion to follow.

How can I help?
    Advertise us to your friends! Invite them to the group, point them at our servers page. Our members are the most valued part of this community as its you guys that make it all possible.
    You are all the most powerful tool available to a community, sharing is caring amirite?

You could also become a VIP, this helps us offset the expensive (~£200/mo) server costs.

An additional note:
    We are looking hard (like, with a telescope!) for a developer who is willing to donate some of their time to helping create some SourceMod addons.
    SourceMod addons are written in SourcePawn, a scripting language based on Pawn.
    This is unfortunately a non-paid position for now however in the future, (assuming we make some profit) reimbursement is more than possible.

Please PM me if you are interested.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: 31 August 2016
  2. YingYangMcYow

YingYangMcYow Member

Good speech mate. Good luck getting players ;)

3. Hs00129

Hs00129 Regular

I'll try to suggest GameShock to a few of my Steam friends. Definitely want this great network to grow.

4. Skel

Skel Awesome Member

Yeah i would rather have less servers than bankrupt servers. It is probally for the best to merge some of them, perhaps payload extreme can become just an all vanilla map rotation? Like you can vote for any game mode and map, idk.

5. Ryan

Ryan Earth Administrator Network Admin

Updated OP with some more news.

6. Autogyro

Autogyro Active Member VIP Member

It would be cool to have a server where maps could be voted on and have it be a wider rotation than the ones available now. But I'm glad you're dropping the servers that aren't being used as much, for now.

7. miner_films

miner_films Member

Well good bye Australian servers, you won't be missed.

(bad jokes aside)

There's likely many reasons why the Australian servers are always empty, I know personally for me after the meet your match update playing on Australian servers is like playing on American or European servers. (Very high ping)

However people probably got into other games or a playing different games for awhile. Some probably stopped playing TF2, some probably just don't have the time anymore.

School holidays are coming up for Australia, so people are likely to be more active then.